Saturday, November 24, 2007

ORPHANAGE WORK BEGINS

It is 4:30 in the a.m. and it is raining heavily and has rained for hours. I can’t sleep, my body is dealing with 7 hours time difference right now....so let me tell you in more detail about the trip to so far.

On Sunday I went to a church service at a church just a half a block from the hotel (hotel=guest house in Nigerian English). It was called an “Apostolic Church”. Not sure what that means, but the music was very nice. They had a good instrumental group, including a great Sax player. Of course the rhythm and the dancing were in the usual African style. I really enjoyed myself and felt really at home. The pastor and pastoral staff were all men and they wore the suites with the white collar like priests. I was there for about an hour when the driver, Alphonsus, came for me. I had told him I would be there worshiping. I didn’t get to hear but a small portion of the s sermon.

Anyway, after that, I had a great opportunity to share with Alphonsus my personal beliefs about Jesus Christ. He professes to have accepted Christ as his personal Savior when he was 16, he is now 28. He attends the Catholic Church, because he says he wants to be sure that he is in the right church before he leaves. You know there are so many “Christian” churches here in Nigeria. We talked about salvation and the teachings of the Bible vs. the teachings of so many of the churches that have sprung up all over Nigeria. I told him, I would send him a guide to use when looking for a church and I could probably get him a Bible Study for to take. (I’ll have to look for one). He is hungry for truth. You know there is so much corruption both in the government and in the religious circles.

I forgot to tell you, that they don’t really do “Customs” like in Malabo, here in Nigeria. None of my suitcases were ever inspected. The only thing they want to make sure of is that your luggage tags and your receipts match, so no one carts off your luggage or you don’t steal someone else’s. I also learned that Aero-Contractors, is the largest airline in Nigeria. I didn’t know this. Ogechi was not able to meet me, as she got stuck in Malabo. (Upon my return to Lagos she told me her, the Prince you met, and the a few others have formed a Natural Gas Company and are bidding on the purchase of a nearby country's supply to sell around the world. She asked me to pray that a contract would be signed as it would bring great wealth to her personally. I'll pray!). But she had me a room and a ticket to Enugu at no charge! She is such a compasionate individual. I am very excited about having her and her husband Simon as supporters of our efforts to make a home for the orphans here. We have to keep praying she will be able to have a child. That is her desire....

I met a lovely woman on the plane to Enugu. She is rather large and I was concerned when she looked at the middle seat beside me. I had to raise the armrest for her to fit in her seat but we had the best time. She turned out to be so sweet. She is a business woman. She runs a large faming operation and deals in livestock and poultry. She wanted to stay in touch, she has donated many times to needy organizations, and she was very satisfied with what we are going to do. She kept patting my hand when I told her about our plans. Then she told me how she believed God had sent me to Nigeria to replace on of her dear friends; an old Irish Priest who recently died. I think she can be a good contact for us in Enugu. She said she would email me her contact information. I sure hope so. Her name is Madam Uche.

When we arrived in Enugu, Williams was there waiting. He rented a “bus” (one of those 9 passenger vans that are packed full of 15 or so people) to pick me up, because his friend’s car he had been using had broken down on Friday. Anyway, it was fine and after waiting forever for the luggage we made our way up to Nsukka. The trip was uneventful, and we arrived to the family, who was waiting eagerly for my arrival. All of them were asking how Mum Beverly and “Ann” were doing. We spoke for a little time and then the offered me supper. They remembered I am allergic to crayfish… YEAH!!! I had rice and fish in red sauce with yam. It was good. After this, we discussed the venue for Friday's meeting in Nsukka. The posters and flyers will be posted and distributed on Wednesday. I went to bed after that …. I was pooped.

Today I bought the motorcycle. It is a Jensing.... whatever that is. That is one of the three brands around here that I see most often. They have parts for it!!! It is funny how people looked at me and even turned their heads in a "retake" after they saw a white taxi driver. Any white people that come to this city, ride on the back.... they do not drive!!! I drove and William rode behind me and we constantly heard people calling out "Oniocha Okada", which means white taxi driver. I guess I was a hit, for everyone would be smiling and laughing when they saw me. The ride through town was at first a bit frightening; one, I had to readjust my brain. The gear change was opposite of how you change gears in the US... to change to a higher gear, you raise the gear pedal with your foot... but the Jensing is one down for each higher gear... then the way the drivers drive (no red lights-few police) is basically a free for all. I got the hang of it and just found a way to fit right in... I even forgot I wasn't African! Pastor William drove several times for me to film. I think the first time I rode with him he was very frightened, but after that I did better.

Riding reminded me of my childhood in the mountain villages of Mexico. It was quite fun. But the weather was in the process of changing... The African winds were beginning to blow and the red sand would dry out from the evening rain and blow about with the wind. I wiped my face after one morning of activity on the motorcycle and found what was on my napkin appalling! I can't imagine how much went in my mouth while I talked to William on the motorbike ride all morning!

Christmas at the Onah family was fun! Found shoes for all the girls and even Tochi got the white and pink tennis shoes. I didn’t have the heart to tell them they weren’t boys shoes, not that in Africa it really matters anyway.

Everyone got something. They were so happy to receive the gifts. The shampoo and soap, the shoes and I gave them colored pencils and reg. pencils and a flashlight-screwdriver gadget I got somewhere to Sylvester. Everyone was very happy. I also made the Frijoles Charros last night…not quite like we do at home, mind you, but it turned out delicious and everyone loved it! I put the beans to soak overnight and by the time I went to cook them yesterday afternoon, they were sprouting and smelled a little bit fermented...so wasn’t sure what that was going to do… then, instead of bacon, or canned pork, Sylvester brought “pig” as he called it. Yes, just white pork meat with a couple of slices of skin and fat. I fried the fat, to get the lard, and then fried the tomatoes and onions with the pork meat and then added my salsa, that I canned before leaving the U.S. and packed so carefully. I rinsed the beans well and then cooked with onion and garlic. I mixed it all together and let it cook for another 30 min. and then added my last thing of salsa a few minutes before serving. We heated the tortillas and I showed them how to eat it like a burrito or taco. Sylvester was beside himself. He even invited the neighbors over to try it all. It was fun to watch.

Yesterday, we went to Enugu…fun cramped ride with another 18 people in the equivalent to a 7 passenger minivan in the U.S…. to see about radio time. I have the Wednesday and Thursday prime time evening spot for 15 minutes each night. I am nervous about what I will speak about, but you know it will turn out. All of Nigeria will hear this broadcast! In the process the marketing woman who sold us the spot, took us down to the studio, to see how we would record the show, and introduced me to Aká the Last, a national radio personality and two others one's of them is named Ola! Can you believe it? She seems to be a nice woman. I can't believe her name is the same as your aunts. (I don’t remember the other one's name). We began talking about what all I was there for and what we will be moving to Nigeria to do and they commented on how well I communicated and that I didn’t have the typical American accent! I said I did, but that I adjusted to my environment as I wanted to make sure I was understood. Aká then said he would like to interview me for his show. He is from around Nsukka. He took me to his interview studio and interviewed me. He asked me about what my purpose was for being there, he asked about differences in American and here ( I said talked about how people have the same needs and desires the world over no matter the culture or race, but differences were “the roads”!!! He asked about the CIA operatives spying and pretending to be religious people. I indicated that I am sure governments around the world have used religion to spy and get information about other nations, but that I personally had never known any and that I was here to do the work of God helping the destitute children of Nigeria. It was a nice 30 minute segment. Today he will tell me when it will air.

We then went to the police station, one of the head police of Enugu. He told me I should write a letter to the Governor and Health Minister, so that they would be aware of our desire to help the street children and they would be glad to help us retrieve the children.

After we were done there, we went to a supermarket in Enugu, and yes they have most everything from the U.S., but it was two, three and up to four times what it costs in the U.S. I saw a supermarket here in Nsukka, but when I went to it, it really didn't have any food items only toys and some small appliances.

After the supermarket, we rode motorcycle taxis back to the car-park and then a bus with all my fellow 18 passengers, back to Enugu. On the ride back, I sat with a student from UNN (University of Nigeria at Nsukka). She was very nice, and was from another state. She was very interested in the what I was telling her and she told me about student life here in Nsukka. I think there is a huge opportunity for us to minister to them, much like what our friends on the Island of St. Lucia.

We got home and I made dinner. During dinner the discussion about the land came up. The portions of land that Williams and I saw on Monday are really small for what we want to do, and when I was directly asked by Sylvester, I explained that we would do what we had to, but that I wished I could explore more land by the waterfall or elsewhere, because I needed a larger property to house all the children’s homes, our house, a large event/gathering room, a clinic, a playground and soccer field, vegetable gardens, and animal corrals. He agreed that the land was not enough, but that he had been thinking about it and there were some lands that were being disputed and that perhaps giving it to the orphanage would be satisfactory to both sides and help end the dispute or Cordelia’s family also had land by Opi that was 20 Kilometers in size….plenty! The land in dispute is in Opi and it is near the highway, so access would not be an issue.

Sylvester will go tomorrow, Thursday, to talk this all over with the corresponding parties and leaders and set up meetings for Friday and/or Saturday.

Today I am off to Enugu, then back immediately (if we don’t see the governor). Then, I have to interview the destitutes this afternoon and Thursday morning. I want to find some in Enugu to interview…. It didn’t rain last night, so it won’t be as wet, but it will be dusty! You should have seen what came off of my face after I returned from Enugu! Amazing!

On Monday, I had visited Opi and sat a bit with Papa and Mama Onah and all the family. They brought me oranges to eat. They are so kind. Papa Onah was getting his weekly shave! I held Williams sisters precious 4 month old baby girl. She was so sweet and didn’t cry when she saw me, like the neighbor’s little boy does. But, after a bit, she decided to throw up on me, right on my arm and the dirty rag they used to clean my arm, well you can imagine…… I survived!

I haven’t done any clearing of land yet, because we are still figuring that one out. I asked Sylvester if it would seem that we have not been grateful for what has been offered, he and Cordelia said no, that the people will understand the expansion of what is needed and what we have to accomplish and will be happy we are there.

Well, I have to eat my plantain and hot chocolate breakfast, not dieting here!

Today is the big day for the “Crusade” in Nsukka. Yesterday, I met the Area Commander for the Nsukka Police. He indicated that he was here to help us in any way and that he would provide a guard for us at night and would help in any way. I also went up to the University to meet the Chancellor or Vice-chancellor, but they are on break along with the students. I left word and spoke to their assistants and they seemed excited about the plans I laid out for them.

The interview with Aká “The Last” will be broadcast today at 11:30 local time, which you will not know about until after it has taken place, because of the 7 hour time difference. I am recording it on the video camera, so we will have the audio. The radio station changed the last evening’s broadcast to 7:45 p.m. and called to notify us about an hour before hand, so we couldn’t advise everyone about it. I have a bit of it on video. The translator’s voice is that of Livinus, who I have dubbed “Living News”, because that it is the way it sounds to me. He is a member of the Church of the Saviour in Opi. He is studying “Mass Communication” at the University. I have met several students, including Vivian, on the bus back from Enugu. She emailed me. Hopefully she will be at the meeting tonight. There are so many students and they come from all over Nigeria to attend the university here. As I spoke with them, so many demonstrated interest in what we will be doing. I asked them if they had any type of Campus fellowship or religious services. All said there were some but not many attended. I asked if there was an exciting forum, would that be something students would be interested in.... all of them said yes.

Today, we will buy the wood for the portable baptistery, as Williams has asked me to help him build it. We will be out finding orphans to interview. I will pick-up my African “dresses” for tonight and Sunday. I wore one of them to Enugu to the radio broadcasting studio and Aká saw me and commented how nice it was and that I was “fitting” in very nicely"! The people here have been so nice to me. After we do this, I will prepare for tonight. The meeting is to begin at 7:00 pm. Who knows what time it will really start.... Africa Time...?

I have been taking my daily dosage of anti-malarial meds, and Tochi came down with malaria, but yesterday he seemed to be better than the day before. The problem here is that you can’t really see the mosquitoes, they are very small (not really No-see’ems, but like nats). I shooed away some last night, in the living room, while eating.

Sylvester has talked to the “elite” from the village. These are men who have been educated and now work as lecturers at the University or have moved away with their professions. They had already scheduled a meeting for Sunday, and will be discussing our orphanage’s need for a large plot of land, sufficient enough for the clinic, the housing, the meeting place, the school, the playground/soccer field, and the farming and livestock area. I have spoken with these men as Sylvester introduced me to most of them. They agree that they will be able to come up with “something”; they certainly do not want to miss out on this opportunity of this type of "blessing", as they have called it.

Pastor William is still working nights for the police. When I met the area commander, I asked him if Williams could be off while I was here, and he said Williams should take his annual rest period. I would like for him to leave to Police and work for APOHA. The church he pastors is so poor. They really cannot provide a living for him. I think I will appoint him as our local Nigerian Representative, as he will be able to organize the block-making, meet with the villagers, carry and necessary paperwork to and from the government offices in Nsukka and Enugu and many other important tasks.

The meals have been really good. I even had some “sweet” potato. It was really good and of course, the plantain is always welcome. Everyone enjoyed the meal from America! We will have to bring a few things when we come. I have not found any “Sunshine”(cilantro was called this in Equatorial Guinea), so far. We will have to bring seed. I'm sure it will grow here. And, if I can get some from Malabo, I will grow that variety here as well.

Orphaned Children abandoned and brought to a Church in Lagos by the local police.

Emeka - Homeless Child living with Beggar on the street




My Taylor. He is very exact with his work. He also made Beverly and Anna's dresses when they were there. His little shop is not much bigger than what you see.









This group were waiting in line to be baptized on the Sunday I attended services with Pastor Williams in the village where he pastors a small congregation that is emerging in the community. It was quite amazing that he has garnered the support of so many of the older people in his home town.
Pastor Williams is such a sweet man. Generous and faithful to the people he serves. He was a tremendous help in getting the necessary land donation and will be directing the building of the road and the block-making. I met him in Malabo at a block-making work site. It is amazing how things make a full circle.

His small congregation held a "Friends Day" on the day I was there. They rented a tents and held services outside. The youth had prepared a very nice play which went over really well.

I was encouraged to see how much support he receives from the leaders in his town. He is respected.

I enjoyed the time spent here. The people were so kind to me. We sang together (though most of their songs were in Igbo), but I hummed along.

Their colorful outfits and their singing and dancing was so hearfelt... so real. They are grateful to God for all he has done for them. We have so much more than they have, including life expectancy. Yet, they are overjoyed with all they have been given.




No comments: