Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Hello again,

I went to the ticketing location for the flight from Malabo to Nigeria. I had received the visa in my passport for travel to Nigeria. The ambassador was kind enough to have it done even during a Muslim holiday. He is a Muslim, so I was grateful.
When I arrived at the airport, one of the ticketing agents began speaking to me in English. She is Nigerian. She suddenly asked me if I was a born-again Christian. I told her, I was and was visiting the church I had planted in Malabo and was traveling on to Nigeria to speak at a conference held in a new church. I explained that the Pastor of the church in Opi – Nsukka had believed in the Lord Jesus Christ in Malabo, while working there and had returned to Nigeria. There he had started a congregation. I told her I wanted to open an orphanage Nigeria. I felt that Opi would be a good place. The whole time she was smiling and chatting with me. She said I would buy a ticket to Calibar, as Port Hartcourt airport was closed. Port Hartcourt is where there has been so much trouble with militias and oil industry worker kidnappings, so I was glad I wouldn’t have to travel there. I asked for the price of a ticket from Calabar on to Owerri, which is closer to Enugu/Nsukka. She said not to worry, she would take care of it. I said, I wanted the price, but again she said she would get me there free of charge. I was afraid I was being taken for a ride… and couldn’t believe she was doing this for me.
Now, I had to communicate with Williams about the changes. I called him all day and late into the evening, but never was able to reach him. I was beginning to worry as the next morning; I still could not reach him. And then we found out that there was problem with Pastor Ruben and his wife’s passport. One of them had planned to go with me. They had submitted for Visa to travel and the embassy was holding their passports to insert the visas. After trying to find someone else to accompany me, to no avail, they agreed to trust God to take care of me. AND HE DID!!! I finally reached Williams and told him what city to meet me. I was trusting the woman at the airport would come through.
Remember the woman at the airport. Well the day of my travel, she helped me with all my ticketing needs, even giving me a complimentary seat from one Nigerian town to another, making it easier for Williams (the Nigerian Pastor) to meet me. She flew the flight with me and helped me through immigration and customs at the first city we landed in (Calabar). I was so grateful! She took me to the crew lounge to wait on Williams as we had arrived a bit early – it was air-conditioned! She even helped me with the exchange of dollars. I shared Christ with her on the flight and she shared her conversion with me. It was a great time of fellowship. She introduced me to another believer on the flight and they both exchanged email and phone information with me. Because she was flying on to Lagos, she left me in the lounge, charging the crew and agents to take care of me. She gave some money, stating it was to help with the start of this orphanage. She smiled as she left and said, I believe you and your wife will come to perform my marriage ceremony. I said I would pray about it… I WAS IN AWE!!!
Now I was waiting on Williams to arrive, alone in Owerri, Nigeria. Oh, but I wasn’t alone, God had provided a traveling companion, a free ticket, an air-conditioned waiting area. That particular day, there were many politicians departing on a flight that was an hour later than mine. They were arriving with police led caravans. This put Williams way behind schedule as roads were blocked and traffic built up. What he thought was a 3 hour drive turned into a 5 hours. He arrived shortly after 5, and I was so happy to see him.
We embraced and talked non-stop for an hour, sharing the happenings in our lives over the last 3 years. It was wonderful! His two buddies, one was the driver, had come to pick up this American missionary, Williams had spoken to them about. We didn’t stop smiling for a long time. The traffic problems were terrible as we entered the city of Owerri and began to make our way to Nsukka. The skies darkened and the night enveloped the road we traveled. These roads had many large potholes. The whole car would fit in some of them. You had to slow down and go around them. It became impossible to do in the darkness unless you traveled less than 20 – 30 mph. The driver was afraid to continue. He said he knew of a place where we could stay the night. He said it was a hospital where he had attended nursing school. I also felt it would be safer. When we pulled into the Hospital, I realized it was a Catholic institution run by Nuns. WOW! I was in for a change. I have not had much contact with the leadership of the Catholic Church due to our differences in what believe about the Savior Jesus Christ. Usually we have been pushed away and called names (many different ones). This being the case, I wasn’t sure how this would work out. I figured though, this was God’s leading me to be a missionary "wherever you are". When we arrived we were greeted by an older nun who had suffered a stroke and had little use of her right hand. She greeted the driver warmly, as he had been her student. She greeted me and Williams and his other friend. She took us to a very nice chamber with couches and asked if we had eaten. We answered that we hadn’t, but that we would buy something outside the compound. She would not have it. Within minutes she had brought in sweet bread and tea. Then a few moments later, fried plantain and yam. It was very nice. The "sisters" began asking me if it was the first time for me to visit Nigeria. I told them it was. They asked what I was there to do. I told them the story of how Williams and I met and how we had remained in touch all these years and how God had placed in my heart a desire to come to Africa since I was a young boy of seven. But then how my ability of speaking Spanish had made me feel that I would better serve God in Latin America. I told them how I had learned of Spanish-Speaking Africa. Then, I told them about the orphanage need that existed in Nigeria. I spoke of the plan in Opi. They were so happy, they told me they felt I would do well there. They said they could tell by words and my attitude that I loved Africa. They were so kind. I wove the message of my relationship with Christ into my words, the whole time asking God to help me not be offensive. We rested in a hospital room. It was not a luxury hotel, nor was it even a Motel 6 by any leap of the imagination, but it was a clean bed and restroom. I slept well. The next morning we were up early. We took some photos with the Nun and at the place. Then off to Nsukka.

I will continue to write more for tomorrow... we have not had electricity.....

I am fine!!! Tell everyone, and mail this to whomever you have email addresses to.

No comments: